LOVE, such a common word yet one of the most powerful and mysterious ones ever known to mankind. Merriam Webster defines love as a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties. In my opinion, there are two ways to define love: first, one can define love as an intense feeling of deep affection and second, as a great interest or pleasure in someone or something. Interestingly, according to the book by J.A Lee written in 1973, ‘Colours of Love,’ there are seven types of love.
The seven types of love are:
- Eros is sexual or passionate love, and is the type most akin to our modern construct of romantic love.
- Philia is love for friends and means goodwill. It is the kind of friendship that comes with companionship and trust.
- Storge. This type of love is love for your family. Storge is love between parents and children and is also called maternal love.
- Agape is the kind of love that one has without realizing you are in love. This is the love for strangers, nature or even God.
- Ludus is the playful type of love. It is uncommitted love and can be described as teasing, flirting and seducing.
- Pragma is a kind of practical love that is founded on reason or duty and one’s long-term interests. Sexual attraction plays a huge role in this kind of love.
- Last but most importantly Philantia. Philantia is self-love. This type of love is the most important for the simple fact that before everything it’s all about you.
Self-love is just another word for loving yourself. We should learn to stop saying that we love ourselves and start proving that we actually do. “At the moment you are willing to make changes into your life, at that moment you can say that you have self-love”- Zhamiro Reinita.
We love because society taught us to. We love because we grew up with the story that God loves us so much that he sent his only son to save us. Society taught us that love is so pure that sometimes it can even save you. That’s why love is a choice, just like happiness. We grew up with a story, we grew up seeing love all around and we decided to choose to live with it, partake in it and apply it in our life. We choose to love and we choose to become happy. However,on the downside, sometimes love can be hard and we will end up heart-broken.
February, the month of love, is fast approaching. On February 14th love and friendship will take over the world and be celebrated in pomp and honour, but we should try to make love and friendship the highlight of every single day we live. If you are in a relationship, I wish y
ou the best and an amazing Valentine’s day. If you are single, focus on yourself and practise self-love; If you’re searching for a partner, don’t lose hope, love will eventually find you and the only thing you need to do is accept it.
Do you have any experience with love? What does it mean to you? Do you believe that love is a choice?
“Whoever love touches, doors will open for them and shall never walk in the dark”– Zhamiro Reinita.